August 13, 2013

Vegan Arnold Palmer Cupcakes


I fell asleep watching the Food Network the other night and woke up to Paula Deen making Arnold Palmer cupcakes. God knows I would never let that woman’s food near me, but it sounded good so I thought I would try a vegan recreation. I teamed up with my ice cream genius of a friend Collin Miranda to make these. I made a lemon cake with an almond frosting and a candied pecan crumble, we filled the cakes with a vegan tea ice cream that Collin made. I know I always say everything on this blog is good, but ice cream filled cupcakes have to be best thing I’ve ever made. 

Lemon Cupcake


Ingredients 


-1 cup almond milk
-1 tsp apple cider vinegar 
-1/2 cup safflower oil (or any light oil)
-3/4 cup sugar
-2 tsp vanilla extract
-1 1/4 cups flour
-1/2 tsp baking soda
-3/4 tsp baking powder
-1/4 tsp salt
-2 tbs cornstarch 
-2 tbs lemon zest 
-3 tsp lemon juice


Instructions

 


1. Preheat your oven to 350°
2. Combine the 1 cup almond milk and 1 tsp apple cider vinegar and set aside for a few minutes until it starts to curdle.
3. Mix the almond milk and vinegar mixture, 1/2 cup oil, 3/4 cup sugar and 2 tsp vanilla extract.

4. Add in the 2 tbs of lemon zest and 3 tsp of lemon juice. If you read my post on margarita cupcakes you'll remember how much I hate zesting and squeezing fruit. I invested in a three dollar juicer that made the process a bit more bearable than last time. 



5.
Add in 1 1/4 cups flour, 1/2 tsp baking soda, 3/4 tsp baking powder, 1/4 tsp salt and 2 tbs cornstarch. 
6. Fill your cupcake lines 3/4 of the way full and bake for 20 minutes.

I doubled this recipe and ended up with 22 cupcakes 


Almond Frosting



Ingredients 



-1/2 cup soy free earth balance (or any vegan margarine)
-1/2 cup crisco
-5 cups powdered sugar
-4-5 tsp almond extract
-food coloring (optional)

Instructions 

1. Beat together the 1/2 cup of earth balance and 1/2 cup of crisco until it becomes fluffy.
2. Beat in the 5 cups of powdered sugar one cup at a time.
3. Add in the almond extract. Use more or less of this depending on your taste.
4. I dyed my frosting a light almond color. 

Candied Pecan Crumble  



Ingredients 


-Light Oil
-1/2 cup sugar
-2 tbs water
-1/4 tsp cream of tartar
-3/4 cup halved almonds 

Instructions 


1. Line a baking sheet with tin foil and cover it in a light layer of any light cooking oil. I dipped a paper towel into some coconut oil.



2. Combine the 1/2 cup sugar, 2 tbs of water, and 1/4 tsp of cream of tartar in a medium sauce pan. 


If you are unfamiliar with cream of tartar it is normally found in the spice section of grocery stores. Its technical name is potassium hydrogen tartarte, it is a byproduct of wine making and, you know, science. 

3. Put over medium heat until and stir until the sugar starts to dissolve. Once the mixture starts to boil, stop stirring. It will start to form a syrup like consistency and turn a light amber color. 


Here is an example of what it shouldn't look it. Be sure to keep your eye on this mixture until the second it starts to change color. I looked a way for a minute and turned back to this burnt stinky mess. 


4. Once the mixture has turned a light brown stir in the pecans.
5. Pour over the oiled tin foil. Use a fork to separate out all of the pecans. 



If you don't separate the pecans it will become one giant hard to break cluster. As you can see the instructions for this pecan crumble are less instructions and more me showing you what not to do. 

6. Once cooled, put the pecans into a plastic bag and crush them with something heavy to create the crumble. 

Assembly 

The one flaw with these cupcakes is that they have to be eaten right away upon being put together, otherwise the ice cream will melt. I cut a small hole into each cupcake with butter knife and we placed about two tbs of ice cream into each of them. 


Collin is going to be doing a guest post later in the week talking about his ice cream. 

After being filled with ice cream, I piped each cupcake with the almond frosting and sprinkled them with the candied pecan crumble on top of a paper plate. 

Pay no mind the the hot sauce in the middle of this photo. 




No comments:

Post a Comment