January 9, 2013

Vegan Stout Beer Cupcakes


This recipe is extremely simple and doesn’t require a lot of elements or preparation. The cupcake comes out lightly spiced while the glaze holds most of the stout taste. I chose to leave these simply dressed with nothing more than the glaze. 

 

Stout Beer Cupcake

 Ingredients

- 3 3/4 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbs cinnamon (I opted out of the cinnamon due to allergies and used some cloves instead, but I think these cakes would be a lot better with a bit of cinnamon)
- 1 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 1/4 cups oil (I used safflower oil)
- 1 1/4 cups molasses
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 4 tbs arrow root
- 1 1/4 cups stout beer (I used Guinness) 

Instructions 

1. Preheat oven to 350°
2. Mix together your dry ingredients, flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
3. In another bowl beat together the oil, molasses, brown sugar, arrow root, and beer. You should pour out your 1 1/4 cups beer before you start baking to give it some time to settle and reduce foam.
4. Gradually add the dry ingredients into the second bowl of wet ingredients. Stir until well mixed.
5. Divide batter into a lined cupcake pan. I was able to make 12 cupcakes. These should bake for around 20 minutes, or until a toothpick poked in the center comes out clean.

 

Stout Beer Glaze 

Don’t get frustrated if this recipe seems a bit complicated.

Ingredients

- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup beer

 

 Instructions

1. Mix them together

 

Assembly

A little goes a long way while putting the glaze on these cakes so be sure to watch your heavy hand.

At this point your cupcakes are drunk and chances are you are to. Don’t feel bad if they end up up looking like an inebriated disaster. Though I was sober through this entire process and don't have much of an excuse for this.

I decided to call it a day and leave the cupcakes alone. A friend of mine however had a different idea. I put my feet up and let him go to town on finishing the decorating. 

And here I give you the worlds most terrifying cupcakes.


 I apologize for the sugar coated nightmares.


1 comment:

  1. Do you know Guiness is not vegan? It contains fish derivatives.

    ReplyDelete